Operation of the Global Land Component, thematic domain Vegetation and Energy (Lot1) (C-GLOPS1)
2015-12-21 – 2019-12-20
C-GLOPS is the first fully operational phase of the Copernicus Global Land segment. It provides geophysical parameters in the thematic areas vegetation, energy budget, water and the cryosphere. These parameters are provided with a spatial sampling between 100m and 12.5km in near-real time on a daily or 10-daily basis. The project is split into four lots. All activities and products of Lots 1, 2 and 3 are reviewed by the independent Lot4 through regular review cycles and meetings. This is to ensure the quality and adherence to the user requirements.
Within Lot1, TU Wien is providing the following services:
- Evolution of the Surface Soil Moisture (SSM) processor into an operational service. This production chain will provide daily 1km soil moisture estimates derived from Sentinel-1 observations. It will first be operated over Europe with a planned expansion to global coverage when enough data is available.
- Development of a merged Sentinel-1 ASCAT soil water index (SWI) product which combines the advantages of the high temporal sampling of the ASCAT observations with the high spatial sampling of the Sentinel-1 measurements.
- Scientific monitoring of and quality assessment of the operational ASCAT 12.5km SWI product as well as any new products becoming operational during the project lifetime.
- European Commission-Directorate Gen JRC Joint Resarch Centre Inst.for E
- Wageningen University
- Centre for ecological research and forestry applications
- Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium
- University of Leicester
- Meteo France
- IIASA, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
- EODC Earth Observation Data Centre for Water Resources Monitoring GmbH